SHEPARD’s PIE ~ Freezer Meal
THIS…. This is a meal worth making – trust me! I dilly-dallied around and had the recipe in my file for months thinking it would be an awesome FREEZER MEAL but I never got to it. I kept thinking it was too ‘plain’, too ‘heavy’, too ‘old fashioned’, BUT you know what is all of these things? COMFORT FOOD!! And this, my friends, TOPS the list!! It sounds a little daunting, but really it is just three steps; the “pie” mixture, the gravy, and the potato topping. Give it a go!!
SHEPARD’S PIE – me’o’my!!
- · 1 lb. ground beef
- · 2 TBS butter
- · 1 regular onion – diced
- · 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- · 1 cup carrots – sliced
- · 1 cup corn
- · 1 cup green beans (I used frozen veggies and they were awesome)
- · 2 more TBS butter
- · 2 TBS flour
- · 1 cup beef broth (I always use water and bouillon cubes to make the broth)
- · 2 tsp of worcestershire
- · 2 lbs potatoes (about 5 reg. sized), peeled and chopped up into chunks
- · 2 MORE TBS butter
- · ½ cup milk
- · 2 cups shredded cheddar – divided
- · Salt and pepper
1. In a LARGE skillet, fry burger over medium heat. Drain burger on a paper towel covered plate – set aside. Remove remaining grease. * OR pull 2.5 cups of cooked burger from your freezer stash!
2. In same LARGE skillet, melt 2TBS butter, then fry onion and garlic until transparent. Put in all 3 vegetables and stir as you heat through.
3. Return meat mixture to pan, with veggie mixture, and mix together. Pour into a casserole dish or large pie plate.
4. Now melt another 2 TBS butter and mix in 2 TBS flour until you have a carmel-y color ‘paste’. Pour in the 1 cup of broth and Worcestershire sauce… stir as you heat it until you have a nice gravy. * You can of course use prepared gravy at this point.
5. Pour gravy over meat/veggie mix in casserole dish and run your spatula through it to mix together.
6. Now cook your quartered potatoes until fork tender, drain and proceed to mash the potatoes adding 2 TBS butter, the milk and 1 cup of the cheese… mix and mash them good – no lumps!! * Any 3-4 cups of prepared mashed potatoes will work but these homemade ones are the best!!
7. Dollop the potatoes on the mix and spread over the top… then sprinkle with remaining cup of shredded cheddar. * At this point you can cover TIGHTLY will foil and freeze.
8. To Bake –place thawed meal, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
Serve with a small side salad or a fruit cup – COMFORT FOOD deluxe!! YUMMMMO