Monthly Archives: February 2015
THE Orange Chicken
We are still laughing over the fact that I became so obsessed with making a delicious Orange Chicken that I pulled out my tri-crock and actually made 3 different sauce combos at one time to see which we preferred… as we tasted and discussed the sauces we realized that no one in my family had ever actually had Orange Chicken so we are not even sure what it is supposed to taste like… but we did make a variation of sauce that was so refreshing, a bit tangy, a bit sweet and A LOT delicious – and we all agreed and couldn’t wait to make it a meal!
HERE it is… throw it all in the crock pot, or in a freezer bag to cook later.
I cooked mine in the crock on low for about 6 hours… then I actually threw it all in a skillet and ‘stir fried’ it for a few minutes to get the sauce to thicken… an unnecessary step but made for some amazing carrots I’ll tell you!
The more chicken you use, obviously the more you could feed….
We served this over rice… SCRUMPTIOUS!!!
- 2-3 lbs Chicken, Large (or bite) size chunks
- 2 cups carrots (I used 1 bag)
- 2 Cup diced (large chunk) peppers
- 2 TBSP minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Orange Juice (prepared – not concentrate)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- PINCH of Red Pepper Flakes
~ WEEKLY Meal Plan ~
Oh wait – same story – deviation from today’s intended plan for Turkey meal and prep work for the week… Guess what happens when you forget to take the turkey out of the freezer…YET AGAIN – ha – new plan! That’s okay, my sweet friend EVA introduced me to this “sauce” recipe HERE and with all the canned tomatoes and sauce I have got with coupons the last couple weeks – and the basic intent I have for this week – I made a HUGE batch of the sauce. I fried up the last of my ground beef stash and we had a delicious dinner of real ‘sgetti!!
AND because I never know quite when to quit – I set out to create the perfect “Orange Chicken” recipe… You know, I probably should have actually EATEN orange chicken before – HAAAAA – sad, but TRUE!! I wanted to try it for a freezer meal and kept looking at a variety of recipes and they were all across the board, so I picked 3 and made all 3 sauces in my 3 pot crock… what a CHORE! But can I tell you that I came up with the perfect sauce for an Orange Chicken freezer meal…. Only problem is I have no idea if that is what Orange Chicken is supposed to taste like… BUT we loved it so it is now OUR Orange Chicken! I will share the recipe this week!
You know what else I made today… I posted it on Facebook… It was sort of the equivalent of those delicious EDY’s bars… this was the pineapple (1 can), banana (2 small) and coconut milk (1 cup – Had a coupon for SILK – it is really good!) version. I didn’t bother with popsicles, but mixed it all in my processor and then popped the bowl in the freezer. OH MY GOODNESS – was that ever delicious!! AND totally HEALTHY – who knew?? Of course I am thinking of making it a cocktail for summer fun, but in the meantime this version was a snack hit with my entire family! HUH – I wonder what other HEALTHY stuff actually tastes good… GIVE me a shout if you have something worth trying!!
I did a quick Rite Aid run to roll my UPS based on my initial DEAL PLAN HERE…..
Then I continued to plan for this week – Here is what we’re having:
ORANGE CHICKEN – my new “perfected” recipe and will make an awesome freezer meal too! I have it all set to go with carrots and peppers – in the crock – and I will serve it over rice.
FRIED SPAGHETS – Easy quick week night dinner…. All the leftovers from our Sunday Dinner – the noodles and Meat Sauce thrown in a skillet with a couple cups of shredded Mozzarella… Heat and serve!
CHICKEN BISCUITS – I have the mixture in my freezer and LOVE this EASY and DELICIOUS version from PILLSBURY – HERE
BEEF STEW – love my Beef Vegetable Soup HERE, but found a recipe to make it more of a stew… so I will give it a try and let you all know how it goes.
TACO BAR – Taco Chicken and Taco Beef both already prepped… hard shells, soft shells, lots of veggie options, salsa and sour cream… a true family favorite!
PIZZA NIGHT – CK has his Scout Pinewood Derby all afternoon and we are doing “snacks”, then I have fun Girl’s Night plans, so K and the Kids will eat one of the DiGiorno stash. My friend Shannon also introduced me to CUTE brownies that look like Stop Lights (using M&M’s) so stay tuned for ‘cuteness overload’ pics!
TURKEY DINNER – REALLY going to happen this time and plenty of leftovers to make my favorite turkey/chicken meals next week!! (EVER hear this line before??)
Extra Plans: LASAGNA SOUP – My pal Dina talked about it and I wanted it and I have extra sauce so we shall see what happens…. Can’t wait for this one!
SO – what are you making this week??
Rolling my UPS at Rite-aid this week….
I am excited to get some toothpaste stocked up again… When I started couponing, at one point I had over 100 tubes of toothpaste, then I went to Coupon-ers Anonymous for my “issues” and now that I have had to buy toothpaste the last few weeks, you can see why this makes me happy… hahaha
Also had a friend give me a few more Tresemme Qs, so I will do the shampoo again and the Chloraseptic is always good to have on hand… By the end of the week, I will go back and re-roll all my ups in to the Centrum/Robitussin Deal to start building those up again too… Nothing worse than needing cough medicine and having to pay $7 when with a little preplanning you can have it on hand for only $1!!
HERE are the deals I am looking at:
Colgate (total advanced 4 oz, optic white 3.5 oz, max 6 oz, or 2-in-1 4.6 oz) – $3.50
-$.50 02/22/15 ss
get $3 UP (limit 2)
TRESemme @ $3.99 (MONTHLY Deal)
– $2 mfq (2/8 RP)
– $3 UP wyb 2 (LIMIT 4 Monthly Deals)
= $.49 Product!!
CHLORASEPTIC (SORE THROAT RELIEF 6 OZ, MAXIMUM STRENGTH 1 OZ, & LOZENGES 15-18 Ct) – $4.99 (Discounted with Gold – 20% or Silver – 10% program)
-$1 Chloraseptic Product – SS 01/11/15
get $3 UP (limit 2)
~ monthly $10 UP wyb $30 Pfizer (Includes Robitussin) / Centrum deal
centrum (silver 65-80 ct, centrum 130 ct, liquid 8 oz, or flavor burst 60 ct) – $6.99
-$4 Centrum (RP 01/04/15) [Limit 4 Qs…]
robitussin cold relief (liquid 4 or 8 oz, caplets & liquigels 16-20 ct ) – $6.99
-$3 off w/ in-ad coupon
Coupons – ?? (coupons.com has a $3.25/2)
-$1/1 Robitussin Product (RP 02/08/15) [Limit 4 Qs – so 2 transactions]
DEAL IDEA: Buy 5 items @ $7 each… save $4 each with combined qs = $3 each or $15 Total Out of Pocket… BUT – Get $10 UP wyb $30
= CHEAP @ $1 each!!
MAYBE – deals to look into:
- Also Curad products stating wyb 2 get a $4 UP – possibly can find some cheapie band-aids or something
Rite-aid questions?? The deals are HOT– but ONLY the deals – LOL!!!
Thoughtful Thursday used to be a favorite column of mine – random thoughts amongst some craziness…. And I have started keeping track of tidbits I read on the internet so I figured you may be interested too… I also found a KILLER deal on a BJs Membership, so check that out too!!
Favorite ONLINE deal:
Deal(s) to watch for:
- This weekend’s 3 day sale at SAVE-A-LOT shows b/s chicken breasts for $1.79/lb.
- Next week there is a HUGE cereal sale that is part of the bonus gas point deal at TOPS – find your Qs now!!
Crazy Tips I learned this week – all from the internet, so they MUST BE TRUE!!!
- Stale, hard baguette bread? Run it under water – completely, then wrap tightly in foil, place in a cold oven, turn it on to 350 and let bread set for 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and foil – it will be very soft now – so put it back in oven, unwrapped for 5 minutes and it will lightly crisp up…. JUST LIKE NEW!!! Check out the video: HERE
- Wrinkled shirt, pants or dress? No time or desire to iron? Throw it in your dryer – on highest setting with 3 ice cubes – for 15 minutes… melting ice will ‘steam’ the wrinkles… pull out and wear… warm, fresh and wrinkle free!! Check out the video: HERE
- Bell Peppers have a ‘gender’… naturally the female are sweeter! Flip the pepper over, ones with 4 bumps are female (have more seeds – I think it is because women are more complex) and are sweeter and are better raw, while the ones with 3 are male and are better for cooking with… say what?? Hahaha I think I need to get one of each and cut them up and taste them!!
- Hard”boiling” Eggs just got a whole lot easier! Bake eggs in muffin tins at 325 for 30 minutes… shock in ice water, peel and you have PERFECT hard ‘boiled’ eggs… bam, make fabulous deviled eggs!!!
- You can MAKE a candle melt the wax all the way to the outer ring by wrapping the outside of the candle in foil… The foil will hold the heat and melt the wax from the outside too… Check out the video: HERE
Some PERSONAL thoughts:
- I actually like pepperoncini… who knew?!!
- I wish I could take a class that would help me learn what to do with herbs… it is hard for me to determine what taste each one gives… but I am learning to use them!!
- I have had enough of winter… My feet are permanently frozen, I have every blanket in the house on my bed and my skin is very, very dry from taking HOT baths just to thaw.
- I do think Everything bagels are AMAZING!!!
- I don’t think I am very good at making macaroons – or any baking for that matter – it is always a struggle for me… WHY?? This is going to be such a problem when I open my bakery… hahaha
- It is BEYOND time to do another FREEZER MEAL workshop…. When can we all get together?
Happy Weekend upon us! What great plans do you have??
Kick’en Chicken (Slow Cooker Angel Chicken)
Okay I started with your standard Angel Chicken recipe… it was really kind of bland – even for me… I am learning to love the red pepper flakes and garlic powder, but that still wasn’t enough… AND my sauce was so thick that even with my addition of milk, it still needed something… BAM (I said to myself – on the cooking show in my head)…. ZESTY Italian Dressing!! The ZESTY took it right where it needed to be… creating a sauce I could have drank (drunk? – maybe with some VODKA… OMG – why didn’t I try that??) right from the pot and saved myself the carbs of the pasta… but I used Angel hair pasta and there is no room for carbs in those tiny, thin noodles – right? RIGHT??!!
So at this point – starting with the original recipe and all of my additions, I ended up with enough sauce for 4 complete meals… I quickly bagged up chicken breasts in 2lb bags and added 2 heaping cups of sauce to each one… NICE – 3 extra freezer meals ready to go!
Then with pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard as it may be… GAWD why aren’t a poet??) I “fixed” the recipe to make it ‘normal’ meal size. AND I renamed the recipe – because now it is a “KICKED UP” version of Angel Chicken!
BUT – This is still a BIG meal – using 4lbs (or 1 big pack of breasts) so either serve it for company, or know you will have left-overs, or plan and set aside ½ the chicken making yourself a complete freezer meal – ready to go for another day! *Truthfully you could ½ all the ingredients, but who wants a ½ packet of dressing or ½ can of soup left laying around…
Here are the Ingredients ~
- 1/4 cup Butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 packet Italian Dressing Mix Powder (0.7 ounces each)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth (I made mine with a bouillon cube)
- 1 cans golden mushroom soup
- 4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 brick)
- 1/2 Bottle ZESTY Italian Dressing
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 lbs (+) chicken breast
- 16 ounce box angel hair pasta (or 2 if you are making this all now, or another box for later when you pull the freezer meal out) Some have even mentioned preferring RICE
- Okay – if you are making all of the chicken at once, simply place the chicken (I cut my breasts in ½ width wise then again length wise… creating ‘chicken strips’) in your crockpot.
(If you are making 1 meal now and 1 for the freezer, place ½ the chicken in the crock and ½ in a freezer bag… If you are spontaneous or just CRAZY like me, you can then eyeball all of the sauce ingredients and place ½ of each on each chicken meal… or you can mix the sauce ingredients all in a bowl and then put ½ on each… your call… your circus! – Oh wait, that’s a whole ‘nother show in my head!!)
- Add all of the sauce ingredients on top of the chicken, give it a good stir…
- Turn crock pot on low for 6-8 hours
- When ready for dinner, prepare the pasta according to box, stir the chicken mixture again – shredding up some of the larger chunks if you prefer…. And serve it over a heaping plate of pasta!
SERIOUSLY – this may have become my new all-time favorite meal… give it a try!!
Rolling my UPS at Rite-aid this week…. HERE are the deals I am looking at:
Glade Plug- Ins Scented Oil Warmer – $.99
-$1 from 1/4 SS or 2/8 SS
AND: get $1 oyno wyb 2, $2 oyno wyb 3, or $3 oyno wyb 4 glade
= BETTER than FREE
Stay Free – $3
-$1 from 2/8 SS
Get $2.00 UP reward (limit 2)
Axe 2/$9 and Dove Deal 2/$8
-$2 from 1/25 RP or 2/8 RP
Get $2.00 UP reward wyb 2 (limit 4?)
= $1 each
I will update the deals to ensure accuracy after I hit them today…
I actually documented my deal planning so I can keep myself accountable again…
I hit Rite-aid and did these deals HERE (just the shampoo and saline for me)
I stopped at TOPS quick for milk and dog food (see pet food catalina below)… I also used the Save $5 when you spend $50 coupon HERE (Tops website)
I plan on price comparing a few items at Save-a-lot tomorrow, but the following are what I see to be good deals at TOPS this week…. Except the burger…. What is up with the price of burger??
- Fresh Homestyle Roasting Chicken $0.99/lb. – decent
- Fresh Assorted Pork Chops $1.69/lb. – decent
- Fresh 85% Lean Ground Beef $3.99/lb – when did $4/lb become a deal…. OMG – STOP IT!!!!
- Brown’n’Serv Sausage Links – $1 – Good Stock Up Price!
Dairy / Frozen:
- Bison Sour Cream or Dip-$1.50 (*I just mixed a cup of this dip in with mashed potatoes – YUMMMM)
-$1/2 coupon from SS 1/25
= $2 or $1 each
- Coffee Mate Creamer – $3
- Tops Ravioli or Tortellini – 3/$10
- Kellogg’s Cereal – $2.50
-$1/3 Cereal from 1/11 SS
- Thomas English Muffins BOGO
-$.40/1 Thomas product coupon from the 1/11 SS
- Kikkoman Panko Crumbs – $1.50
-$1/2 Panko coupon from the 12/7 SS
Gas Box Deal – 10 cans purchased earns you a BONUS 200 Gas Points, valued at $6 – or .60/can – consider that in your purchase… I am going to check these prices at Save-a-lot tommorrow!
- Bush’s Chili Beans – $1.25
Buy 3 (= 3.75) – $1/3 coupon from 1/8 SS (= 2.75)
Save 3*.60 = – $1.80
= $0.95 or only $.31 each!
- Campbell’s Cream Soup – $1.33
Buy 5 (= 6.65) – $1/5 from 1/11 SS (= 5.65)
Save 5*.60 = – $3.00
= $2.65 or only $.53 each!
- Tops Canned fruit or Pizza Sauce – $1.25
Save .60 each = $.65 each
Other Canned –
- TOPS Canned Veggies – 20/$10 (Named brands run this same sale and then you can use their Qs…. But if you need veggies, this is decent)
- Kikkoman Soy or Teriyaki Sauce – $2
– $0.55/1 coupon from 2/1 SS
- Ragu – Large 45oz jar – $1.99
-use the $1/2 Ragu coupon from the 1/25 Redplum
- Rinaldi Sauce – B1G1
- Nissan Big Cup Noodles – 3/$1
Health and Beauty:
*$5 off your next order when you buy $20 or $10 off your next order WYB $30
I bought 3 bags of Dad’s Dog food (3x $9.99) and added in a can of cat food to hit $30 and got the $10 catalina!
So HAPPY SHOPPING!! What is your favorite deal this week??